The Problem: One of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers needed to anticipate and prevent assembly line bottlenecks and equipment breakdowns.
The RedViking Solution: OEE / FIS equipment health monitoring with process diagnostics and analysis, integrated with third party maintenance notification system.
Stop Production Problems Before they Start
A U.S. automaker wanted to anticipate and prevent bottlenecks, quickly identify the root source for downtime and design their maintenance schedules to prevent equipment failure. RedViking implemented a complete OEE/Factory Information System to acquire raw manufacturing data and convert it into usable information to help them reach their goals.
Big Data from Plant Floor for Better Production
Machine and process data is collected from each production station and sent to an on-premise host server database. It can also be cloud-hosted by Argonaut. Once captured, data can be posted overhead on an Andon board, sent via pager to a specific maintenance person, included in a management report, or redirected in virtually any secure configuration. In this case, a third party maintenance notification system was integrated to track maintenance response times. RedViking’s OEE/FIS provides extensive manufacturing analytics for process improvement, and can easily integrate third party systems.
As with all Argonaut apps, once the initial configuration is done, replication is straightforward.
Maintenance Decisions Based on Unique Data
Equipment reliability data is collected so that preventative maintenance can be scheduled before tools and parts need to be replaced. By creating a maintenance schedule based on unique historical data from every part and process instead of data supplied by their equipment vendors, they maximize equipment health and minimize downtime and equipment failures.
If a particular machine is less reliable than one supplied by a different vendor, they have the data to select vendors accordingly. The same is true of parts. Quality managers will know if one supplier’s badges adhere less effectively than another supplier’s.
The OEE/Factory Information System facilitates state and goal-based analysis such as:
- Machine states: Is the machine operating? Not operating? In need of repair or maintenance?
- Tool and Part information: Based on historical data, is it time for the torque gun to be lubed? Should the drill bit be replaced?
- Bottleneck analysis: Is production slowing at any point? What is the root cause? Can vehicles be redirected or staged to prevent this?
- Production KPI’s: How many vehicles are targeted for production during this shift? How does that compare to actual production?
Big Data for Better Process Management
The bottom line for the equipment and process monitoring system is improved efficiency. Instead of reacting to equipment failure and line bottlenecks, this automaker now has the data to prevent them through a complete understanding of their own equipment health, life, part quality, process variations and production flow.
Easy Integration Into the Argonaut Platform
Like all Argonaut apps, OEE/FIS can be implemented on its own or as part of an entire MES suite. Argonaut currently offers the following manufacturing apps, with more under development.
- OEE/Factory Information System for process management and reporting
- Track and Trace for part, product and process traceability
- Pack Out: Identify, verify and track completed groups of components
- Error/Mistake Proofing: Quality check for gated operations
- IIoT Gateway: Securely broadcast PLC data to subscribers for interpretation and analysis
- Part Kitting and Sequencing for assembly line optimization
- Automated Work Instructions for each operation
- Media Casting for delivering websites, videos, and images to remote locations