One of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers wanted to have better insight into their manufacturing process and then track quality beyond the plant to create a “life history” for the vehicle. Their ultimate goal was to improve vehicle quality through better data.
The Problem: One of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers wanted better quality for their fast growing production volume.
The RedViking Solution: Fully Integrated Error Proofing with Track and Trace.
Tracking Technology for Positional Awareness of Every Product
First, we implemented tracking technology to create awareness of vehicle position throughout the entire production process. Where conveyance is involved, software and controls were used. Where there is no conveyance, a robust method of vehicle identification was put in place such as bar code, RFID or 2D pin stamp marking.
User-Friendly Operator Interface Provides Real-time Visual Information
Once positional awareness was in place, the next challenge was to interface with the customer’s existing scheduling system so that we could generate data about every vehicle’s parts and processes, from engine to keys. Once completed, we designed a user-friendly interface at each station so that the operator could easily understand the requirements for each specific vehicle.
Error Proofing Verifies Torques, Part Placement and More
With positional data fully integrated and available at each station, new configurable software was put in place to make sure that:
- Precisely measured torque is applied before advancing from station
- The correct parts are selected through bar code scanner or vision ID, then installed in the correct sequence and location
- Correct vehicle badging is verified by vision inspection
- All serialized components (i.e. air bags, tires, key sets) are identified and traceable throughout the life of the vehicle
Last, a user-friendly interface was created for the existing gatekeeper system that had previously been used only for manual inspections. Prior to automated error proofing, inspection operators would visually inspect the vehicle and then touch a button to indicate pass/fail. The inspection operator’s experience didn’t change – the pass/fail button is still in place and the operator still visually provides the final inspection. The difference is that now, all of the error proofing data is incorporated into their final inspection.
Room to Grow
Today, we continue in global partnership and have expanded beyond error proofing and traceability into automated work instructions, part kitting and sequencing, and OEE/FIS.
Argonaut apps are offered individually or in combination. Choose the apps you need now, easily add more as you grow.
Argonaut currently offers the following manufacturing apps, with more under development.
- OEE/Factory Information System for process management and reporting
- Track and Trace for part, product and process traceability
- Pack Out: Identify, verify and track completed groups of components
- Error/Mistake Proofing: Quality check for gated operations
- IIoT Gateway: Securely broadcast PLC data to subscribers for interpretation and analysis
- HMI Bridge for 3rd party manufacturing apps deployment
- Part Kitting and Sequencing for assembly line optimization
- Automated Work Instructions for each operation
- Media Casting for delivering websites, videos, and images to remote locations